The photo above is a Grist Mill that was once located on the corner of Landing Street and Eayrestown Road. This Mill was just one example of the industry that made up the forgotten Eayrestown community, which was founded in 1699 by Richard Eayres.
This town consisted of a sawmill, a tavern, a cotton factory, a general store and 12 to 15 dwellings. The Grist Mill pictured was the second one built on the site. The first one built in 1714 burned down in 1777. Mr. George Stricker built a new one on the old foundation and unfortunately it was struck by lightening in 1910 and was destroyed by fire. * information gathered through written documents from local Historian Dorothy Best of Vincentown